Wednesday, April 15, 2009

At the TEA Party




At 11:00 this morning I looked out my window and noticed big, huge, puffy wet snowflakes. Kind of a deterrent for standing around at an outdoor rally. By the time I finished the work I needed to do this morning, it was 1:00. I grabbed the car keys and went to pick-up my husband. We wanted this chance to be part of something we felt was important, because it was just that. A chance to vent with others of like frustration about something that we feel we have little control over.
I approached our youngest son, who was painting one of our rentals and told him where we were going. A very liberal, know-it-all strong 22 year old Obama supporter, I did not mention who was mostly behind these T.E.A. parties. "Interesting". he said, "Are you finally seeing the light? Do you know that there are no actual laws that say we have to pay income tax? Maybe, I'll stop by, he said. When I finished painting." As his employer I would have given him the time off, no questions asked.
As we got to the intersection, we noticed an empty police jeep, parked in a traffic lane, next to a parked car, with lights flashing. "Are there really that many people here? my husband asked, " I thought at the most maybe 20."
Driving around the park to the courthouse parking lot, we found a space within 20 feet of the rally. It was cold and raining and a few people were already leaving. There were lots of flags, and a few tents and tables, most were huddled under umbrellas.
An open mike was there for who ever wanted to speak. A guy grabbed a guitar and lead us in a rousing folk song, with a easily repeated chorus.
"Taxes, No more taxes!"


And then speeches, with a Constitutional slant. Growing up in the 60's it felt pretty natural to me, I had done this before. In fact just about 10 years to the date, I had stood on the steps of the California state capitol in Sacramento, cheering for a much needed raise for teachers. Sometimes I was on the other side. Yet I hoped in this case there wouldn't be side. That those who care about our freedom, our economic way of life, would feel that this really wasn't political. Many there however, said how unnatural and out of their comfort zones they felt.
There was never a big crowd. Probably not more than 50. Obviously the weather was not conducive to this party. But I reiterate again, I am glad I took the time to show my feelings, to become a particpatory part of our government, and to be part of what I hope will become a groundswell. The silent majority at last no longer silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment